Here's the finished scarf as modelled by my mum.
I decided that it would be good to balance the red and pink with more bands but didn't actually want to incorporate those colours any more, so chose a darker blue instead. Sue asked where the bands of colour sit - they sit towards the ends so they can be visible but by tying the scarf you can choose which colours to expose and which to cover up. That wasn't an original intention - let's face it they all went out the window when I started freestyling! - but I like that outcome. In fact the blue works really quite well in comparison to the pink and red, and is especially pleasing against the black. I wasn't ready for that!
I was also pleased with the hemming which so far I have never got quite right. I decided to leave a 2-3 inch untwisted fringe which is short enough to avoid going straggly.
I think she was pleased with the result and it would definitely suit her as a spring scarf because of the colour but also due to the cotton weft it's quite light.
Charlotte asked me what the pattern was, I'll post the draft shortly so you can see. In truth the pattern was a bit of a let down because it's not that clear, however I think this is partly the choice of a slightly-too-springy warp and the mix of turquoise on white. As I said earlier, it looks better against the black warp and I'd like to try it again. Done properly it would be a great pattern for a throw or even a wall hanging.